Thursday, December 1, 2016

inhabit & hone

Quotations:

qanda_2016_ep32

Anthony Grayling: [apposite; essayist; inhabit;] Can I just comment, by the way, I've been struck by the idea that if the royalties due to Plato, Aristotle an so on could be paid into a fund. I could arrange that would be ... But I think it's a very good idea. I think in the case of this question that it's very very apposite, because Shakespeare is a wonderful resource, not alone, but I think magnificently ahead of the game in getting us to see things about despair, ambition, desire, passion for vengeance, love and all these things. One of the greatest writers about Shakespeare is William Hazlitt, the essayist, talking about the characters. Not the plays so much, their structure and the like, but his investigation of characters, he was so fascinated by the fact that somehow Shakespeare with this marvellous ability he had to be anybody and everybody, to see everything from all points of view, to inhabit these different sensibilities, brought out things about what it is to be human, which when you see a play or when you read a play today, you're very struck by. So I mean I think he remains a great relevance for that point. 

Kate Mulvany: [crystallise;encapsulate; hone; veteran;] Well, he teaches me a lot of things. Of course, he teaches me as a human because of the way he crystallises and encapsulates a moment, you know, word, or you know phrase, what he teaches me as a playwright is extraordinary though too, as I mentioned before, I love that he can take the epic of a battlefield then we can hone in on Brutus and Cassius speaking about what it is to loyal to one another and what it is to be a friend and ... there are something so human about seeing the man behind the solider. And for me that's really important thing as a human. My dad's Vietnam veteran and who did not speak and I found a lot of the answers of what I was looking for my dad through Shakespeare, the way the soldiers spoke to each other, the way they talked about the war when they got home, and it's through those sorts of passages and phrases and narratives and characters that Shakespeare gives us that we can find ourselves, we can find our family, we can find our love ones, we can find other ways into our own human existence. 

Definitions:

inhabit:
1. to be found in or pervade sth;
...

hone:
1. to develop and improve sth, especially a skill, over a period of time;
...

No comments:

Post a Comment