Wednesday, November 9, 2016

EastEnders & casting

Quotations:

qanda_2016_ep32


Germaine Greer: [recast; carry out; nonsensical; end up; Mafioso;alleyway; tax; call sth into question; dramatise; EastEnders] And 400 years is not very long. It's a blink in the history of the world. And what actually happens in a Shakespeare play is you are prevented from arriving at easy certainties. Every thing you think you understand is challenged. So, you have to recast your own ideas. People start off thinking, for example, about Hamlet, that Hamlet's duty is to carry out revenge on a death of his father. That's a nonsensical idea. We have justice in order to keep us free from revenge which will end us up in a kind of Mafioso situation with blood in every alleyway. It's altogether more taxing and intelligent and questing, Shakespeare isn't a representative of the ruling class. He exists to call into question all our certainties, and this is what makes them, the plays, work, because everything keeps shifting. It's not a question of dramatising a narrative that when you've got hold the narrative, you've understood the story. He is not writing scripts for EastEnders or neighbours. He is actually making you think. The only thing he wants you to do is to think. He doesn't tell you what to think; he tells you that you must think.


Kate Mulvany: [casting; on my feet;] She's an English teacher. Yes, my mum told me, I grew up in country western Australia, my mum said to me: you're not going to enjoy Shakespeare. We could either do literature, Shakespeare, or we could do Australian literature. And she said to me: do the Australian literature. So I actually studied John Romeril, Debera Oswald, Dorothy Hewett, Germaine Greer. I studied amazing, amazing Australian writers and thinkers and that was what encouraged me to become a playwright. It wasn't till I was at university and got a casting in Hamlet --  as Claudius, of all things --  that I kind of had to put my hand up and say, I've never studied it before and I learnt on my feet. And I think, I'm still learning on my feet. I do a lot of Shakespeare and I adore it, but I'm still catching up. So, I have a foot in both kind of fields, I guess, I love my Shakespeare, but first and foremost I'm an Australian writer.

Definitions:

EastEnders:
A British television soap opera about a group of people who live in alber square, an imaginary part of east London.

casting:
1. the process of choosing actors for a play or film/movie.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment