Saturday, August 27, 2016

fall for & intersexual

Quotations:

qanda_2016_ep11


Germaine Greer: [fall for; intersexual; essentialist] That's so difficult, you know, I agree that when I first was thinking about what is a woman, I fell for the usual view that women were people with two Xs and men were people with an x and y, which made life nice and easy for me, and I now realise partly, because I am not entirely immune to information, that this was wrong, that in fact there are all kinds of intersexual conditions, and there is various ways in which genes are expressed in behaviour and development, and that in fact having two sexes is essentialist you might say, but it's even that. It's just wrong. But the interesting thing to me is this, that if you decide because you are uncomfortable in the masculine system, which turns boys into men, often at great cost to themselves, if you are unhappy with that, that doesn't mean that you belong the other end of the spectrum, that by expressing it that way .....

Definitions:

fall for:
1. to be very attracted to sb. or sth. and to start to love them;
2. to believe that a trick or a joke is true;

intersexual:
having characteristic of both sexes.

No comments:

Post a Comment