Monday, July 25, 2016

as it happens & breakdown

Quotations:

qanda_2016_ep11

Theodore Dalrymple: [as it happens;breakdown; arrangements; epilepsy; strangle;] Well, it's a - that's a very interesting question. As it happens. I examined about 400 women who had suffered violence from their sexual partner every year for about 15 years. And so I'm familiar with the problem. Unfortunately, it's a very complex one. But if I said that, in my view, the main driver of the, certainly, the domestic violence that I saw was actually jealousy, that was the most powerful factor before there was a violence. Now again, in my view, the sexual jealousy increased enormously, and one of the reasons that it increased enormously was the completely breakdown any kind of arrangements, accepted arrangements between men and women. And the men, many of the men in my - I worked in a poor area, many of the men derived almost all their self-respect and self-importance actually from the exclusive sexual possession of women while themselves being very unfaithful. And many of the women, for example, who were very badly abused, believed the most astonishing things in my view, for example, the man would claim that he couldn't help himself, and the woman would accept that he couldn't help himself and would regard the violence as a form of epilepsy just comes over him and woman would say:" his eyes go and then he hits me or strangles me, one said, but not all the time, doctor. He did not strangle her all the time. And then I would just ask a very simple question: would he come and do it now in front of me? And oddly enough that would change her whole outlook on the situation. It seemed a very simple thing to say which she never thought of it. So, of course, there is something very odd going on, but I think the fundamental problem that I saw, certainly, in my experience, which was fairly extensive, I must have seen thousands of cases, was extreme jealousy. 

Definitions:

as it happens:
used for saying that something is true, although it is surprising.

breakdown:
1. a failure of a relationship, discussion or system;
2. an occasion when a vehicle or machine stops working;
...

No comments:

Post a Comment