Complete Works of Virginia Woolf: The Voyage Out
"This is a great undertaking of his, " Richard continued. "It's a business that won't stop with ships, I should say.
D'you know, I can never work without a kettle on the hob.
1. to promise to do something;
2. to agree to be responsible for a job or a project and do it;
3. make oneself responsible for;
4. to begin to do something or to set out on something;
1. the top part of a cooker where food is cooked in pans; a similar surface that is built into a kitchen unit and is separate from the oven;
2. a metal shelf at the side of a fire, used in the past for heating pans, etc. on.