Friday, January 15, 2016

homophobia & spell out

Quotations:

qanda_2015_ep29

Katy Faust: [speak up; bigotry; homophobia; accountable;] Because I was told that Americans don't interrupt enough, and I should jump in when I ... you know. So, first I want to say Jenny thank you for your question. I'm really grateful that you feel like you are able to speak up and show how you feel. Certainly that's not the case for a lot of kids with same sex parents. Because this debate has been framed as one that is based on prejudice, and what that does is it shuts down a well robust debate, and in our country we really didn't have one, it was so demonised from the beginning, that anybody that supported traditional marriage was doing so based on bias,or bigotry or hatred of homophobia or something, and what it did is it totally shut down  and people felt like they could not speak up. And the truth is that while there are people with religious convictions, obviously, you know members of your party feel that, you know, this is based on their, you know, deeply held religious beliefs. I think that our side needs to do a better job of making their case using natural law and because I don't hold, I don't think that people should be accountable to my religion. I am accountable to my religion, but all of us are accountable to natural law which governs our lives.

Tony Jones: [spell out; underpin] Okay, on the Blog you do spell out some of your own religious views, along these lines: true Christianity would oppose the narrative that homosexuality is a positive and normal variation of human sexuality. Now does that belief underpin your opposition to gay marriage.

Definition:

homophobia:
a strong dislike and fear of homosexual people.

spell out:
1. to state something clearly, allowing no room for misunderstanding;
2. to read something with difficulty or very slowly, especially by reading out words one letter at a time;

No comments:

Post a Comment