Saturday, January 9, 2016

far be it from me & plebiscite

qanda_2015_ep29

Katy Faust: [a storm in a tea cup, far be it from me; ] Well, for somebody that's still getting used to the idea that Liberals support traditional marriage, because in my country, that's not really how it goes. This, to me, looks a little bit like you guys have an expression "storm in a tea cup", you know like a lot made out of not much. So, but I - but of course, you know, far be it from me to try to understand the inner workings of government that I've only, you know, viewed from the outside for a week or so. 

Gini Deakin: [referendum; plebiscite;] There was no referendum to ask whether it was legal for my mums to have a baby. There was no plebiscite when the law changed to allow me to have two mothers listed on my birth certificate. So, why should there be a referendum or plebiscite on whether my mums can get married. 

Definition:

far be it from me:
1. it is not really my place to do something. (always followed by but.)
2. something that you say when you are giving advice or criticizing someone and you want to seem polite. 

plebiscite:
a vote by the people of a country or a region on an issue that is very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment