Thursday, July 30, 2015

outsource & sneakers

Quotations:

qanda_2015_ep14

Amanda Vanstone: [ditto;op-shop;  Royal Flying Doctor Service; in effect; outsource; sneakers;] Well, ditto to everything he said I once was the Minister who had the responsibility for volunteering and we are great at it.  From 14 up to all ages you can't imagine are choosing ways and places to give and often people who haven't got the money to give, as Peter said, you've got to have a sliding scale for this sort of thing. There is a woman who runs an op-shop for the Royal Flying Doctor Service in the Riverland, she's raised hundreds and thousands of dollars over her time in running this op shop. She couldn't give hundreds thousands dollars, but,  in effect, she has by giving her time. I have a couple of concerns with the notion of, you know, just giving your potion of your income, because I think it's an outsourcing goodness to someone else and I don't think you should be able to do that, and I think we actually have to focus on trying to be better people ourselves and it will come from that, we have, as Peter says, become very materialistic, you know, kids don't share rooms any more, they have their own room; they have a TV, you know, they don't go to school unless they've got the right snacks. So, I don't disagree with any of the shocking way we've developed into materialists. I think the way out of that, though, is not just outsource the goodness and say, well, I give some of my money so I'm a good person, you have to actually be a good person.

Definitions:

outsource:
to arrange for sb outside a company to do work or provide goods for that company;

sneakers:
a shoe with a rubber sole and, usually, a cloth upper.

No comments:

Post a Comment