Monday, July 27, 2015

in-kind & holistic

Quotations:

qanda_2015_ep14

Mark Butler: [brunt; leverage; in-kind; charitable; holistic; settled;] Well, I might just make very brief comment about foreign aid. It's quite clear the foreign aid projections which had started to rise very significantly over the years, took the major brunt of budget cuts from the government last year and that was the decision that the government took that, I think, was probably regarded as an easy decision but I think it was a poor one. But I want to address the question more particularly, because Australia has seen a lower rate of giving, in financial terms, than countries to which we usually compare ourselves, like the UK, the US and Canada, and we've seen it for some time, and I think it's interesting to reflect on that. I't's been increasing, but still at slightly lower rate. And I don't know whether that's got something to do with the fact that we're very highly leveraged. We've got significant household debts because of much higher house prices. But you know, it's worth examining that. What we do do though, better than most other countries is volunteer, as Greg said. Our giving rates are a little bit lower than average in the OECD. Our volunteer rates that in-kind contribution are substantially higher than OECD average and they have been rising very significantly for many years. I think the last time I looked it was about 700 million unpaid hours of volunteering are performed by Australian adults, not to mention what children do as well. I mean, that's worth a very substantial amount and is utterly critical to the ability of a lot of church and charitable organizations to keep functioning. So, I think we also need to be holistic in thinking about giving, not just about financial giving, but also the sort of in-kind volunteering, that's a much more settled part of Australian culture, I think.  


Definitions:

in-kind:
in the form of goods and services rather than in cash.

holistic:
thinking about the whole of something, and not just dealing with particular aspects

No comments:

Post a Comment